Harvest Time

Since I had today off from work, I was able to catch up in the garden. Here are some pics I took of the things I picked last week.

Tomatoes (clockwise from the big one): Mountain Pride, Mr. Stripey, sliced Mr. Stripey, Green Zebra, Arkansas Traveler, and Red Zebra.

Part of the week's harvest. Green beans, black-eyed peas, zucchini, and squash.

The variety of peas that I'm growing is called "Pink-eye Purple Hull." I like them (and Mississippi Purple Hull, too) because they are easy to pick. The pea patch is the dark green down the middle of this photo:

Unripe peas are green and hidden, like this:

However, when they get ripe, the pea pods turn a nice maroon color so they are easy to spot:


They also taste great. If you haven't had fresh black-eyed peas (or pink-eyed, or crowder or knuckle or cream peas, which are all pretty much the same) you are are missing out. And if you call them "cow peas," you just weren't raised right.

1 comments:

Pam said...

Wow! Your tomatoes look fabulous! Ours are still just buds. The joy of a southern clime. We've also planted zebra tomatoes, I'll probably be thru menopause before they ripen! Fresh eggs, fresh vegs, fresh black-eyed peas, I wanna be a farmer! What do I have to do to get those black-eyed peas? Pam

Post a Comment