What I'm Doing

There are things I want to accomplish as a farmer:
  • work with nature to grow great food
  • preserve traditional varieties and methods
  • connect people to the source of their food
The best produce is grown by working with nature rather than against it. I use natural plant and animal products to feed the soil; this adds not only the major elements plants need, but also trace minerals and healthy soil life. This healthy, living soil in turn produces strong, healthy plants that are naturally more able to resist pests and diseases. I also provide habitat for predatory insects that keep pests in check. I don't use synthetic chemicals to fertilize or control pests.

I grow mainly traditional varieties in my garden to get better flavors. Many of these strains are true heirlooms, handed down from one gardener to another for years (one of my tomato varieties was introduced in 1870!). Why have these varieties been kept for so long? Outstanding flavor. Many of these varieties don't ship or store well, so they have been neglected by the big commercial growers. These days, they are only available to people who have a garden (or know someone who does). By growing heirloom varieties and using natural methods, I can grow the best tasting produce around.

Finally, I want to connect people to the source of their food. The anonymous nature of our food supply chain keeps us from really knowing anything about what were eating. (Remember last summer when bad salsa kept all the tomatoes off the shelves?) I want people to know where their food came from, and trust that it is safe.

I will be updating this blog periodically (between working, taking care of twin toddlers, and of course actually working in the garden) with updates about how things are growing, what I'm doing, and of course what is ready to eat. Feel free to comment or drop me an e-mail with comments or questions.

Aaron

0 comments:

Post a Comment